Sunday, October 4, 2009

Birthday Celebration and Other Stuff

I really need pictures to go with this post, but, oh well! My camera card is full, but my computer says it is empty! Wonder which one is correct? Guess I can always post them later! We began our first weekend in October with Brad's 35th birthday. Yes, I said 35th birthday! WOW! It was a very quiet one (if you call living in a house with 4 women quiet!) since he had to work nights all weekend. The girls and I took him to lunch at his favorite place....the Japanese Steak House! I'm not exactly sure if it is his most favorite or if he just had to go there since we have gone there for the past several years for his birthday. Wouldn't want to break up a tradition now would we? We have a tradition in our family that when it is YOUR birthday, we go to dinner somewhere special, anywhere YOU want. The fun is getting to pick out the place and no one can say anything because it is YOUR special day! Now, if he had waited until after he got off of nights, then he might would have had to eat somewhere the girls and I picked. Wonder where that would have been??? Guess we won't have to find out after all! I think he enjoyed his huge meal, hence the empty plate (only other person I have ever seen do this there is my daddy!) and only got leftovers from the girls and me to take to work for later. How in the world can someone eat something leftover that was just eaten a few hours before? I never understood that! I really don't like leftovers too much, but definitely NOT in the same day. I have never worked nights so I wouldn't understand!!! We came home for some delicious cake from A Piece of Cake Bakery. He was so excited to have his Smoak's Bakery icing back. The girls wanted a deer hunting theme so this is what we got. I figured it might be as close to a deer he may get all season! HA HA! I'll post the picture of the cake later, but if you are friends with me on facebook, then you can see it there! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRAD/DADDY~WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

Saturday, the girls and I did absolutely nothing. Well, maybe I should say I did absolutely nothing. I stayed in my PJs all day and had a great time being quiet, or trying to be quiet. I got caught up on some reading, nothing adult oriented though. Just some things the girls are reading for school that I needed to read too. I guess I really didn't have to read their books, but it sure makes conversation about them much more meaningful later on. I also like to know if they are really reading on their own. When we do read alouds, I know. When they are reading to themselves in their room or outside, it is hard to tellif they are REALLY reading. Besides, the books are good! We are working on Johnny Tremain right now as a family read aloud, or rather, I am reading it aloud. The girls don't think Brad can read too well...he just doesn't change the voices like I do! It is mostly Mollie and Margaret though. Madison thinks he will get
Alzheimers if he doesn't read....said she read this somewhere. Too funny!!! To themselves they have read Pocahontas and the Strangers, The Matchlock Gun and The Cabin Faced West, all in the past few days. They call them "quick reads." I kept telling them not to read it all in a day, but they couldn't stop when they got to the "stopping" place. I told them they had to stop, then I realized what I was saying. Why did they have to stop? If they want to read ahead, I let them. They are enjoying their reading stories and I am glad. It could be worse, I could be screaming at them to read or punishing them because they don't read, but I am not having that problem. Is there such a thing as too much reading~I think NOT!!

Sunday is our church day, normally. This morning or last night rather, I did not set my alarm because Brad would just be getting to sleep good and besides, I just knew I would be up. I am always up before the alarm on Sundays. Well, not this Sunday!! NO ONE woke up until 10:30! SIMPLY AMAZING!! Even after Mollie was up and ate homemade waffles (I made waffles for brunch!) she was back to sleep. Supposedly tummy ache and/or headache. I guess everyone was tired cause boy did they sleep good. We felt bad because we hadn't missed church in a while, but I guess it was OK. We did a Sunday School lesson at home. I let them pick what they wanted to do and them we sang some songs out of Margaret's hymn book for choir. (She has to know 1st verse of her songs for choir so she has it here practicing) Madison said I wasn't as good as her SS teacher but I think Mollie and Margaret were happy with me. It's not like we have to do this every Sunday, right? We were even able to fit in some schoolwork today~got a head start on tomorrow already!

Later in the afternoon we went down Washington Road to the parking lot of Outback Steakhouse and Bonefish to look at pumpkins and flowers. The girls all had their own money they wanted to spend if they saw anything. I am taking them to a pumpkin patch to pick pumpkins, but of course Mollie and Margaret couldn't wait. They had to have a pumpkin, each one purchased with their very own money and Madison bought her a huge pot of mums. She didn't quite have enough for her flower so Margaret offered to give her the rest. Wasn't that sweet?!?! I have never been many places where I didn't have to supply the money for whatever they wanted, but since I am not working anymore, I just don't have the money to supply them with. Believe it or not, they actually LIKE spending their own money. They have this wonderful look of pride on their little faces when I hear them tell someone "I bought it with my own money!" They also seem to take better care of things purchased with their own money too. I am just so proud of them. When I feel bad because I can't buy them all the things they want, they are just so happy to be able to buy it for themselves. What wonderful children I am raising!



We came home and worked in the yard for the rest of the afternoon. We got up 15 bags of straw and dirt from where we had pulled up all the shrubs and planted the azaleas. Our cement walkway used to be covered until this afternoon. It is now all CLEAN!! Needless to say our yard is one of those things that gets neglected and it really needed/needs work. We have started and hopefully before long it will look GREAT! Yard work is a lot cheaper than housework. We have a lot of things that need to be done inside too, but it is all costly. Doesn't cost anything to rake and bag now does it, unless you count buying the brown paper bags! Pictures are coming soon...I hope!


We ended our evening with subs (made by me) and a walk to the park. Brad went to work for his last night until Wednesday, so I guess tomorrow will begin his weekend. Not sure what he has planned yet, but no matter what it is, we are just glad he will be home at night. Well, I will be anyway. Mollie will have to wait until Wednesday for her night to sleep with me, so she is already counting down the days until he goes back. She is such a MOMMY'S GIRL!!!
Maybe he can get my pictures off my camera card for me too!! I'll put that on his "list!"

No comments:

Post a Comment